When the last remaining areas of the old Glencoe Estate came up for sale, it was a rare opportunity for the land to be brought back into the hands of the local community. Two Community bids were rejected, when Alistair heard about this he decided to take action.
Mr MacDonald secured funding of temporary unsecured loans in an eleventh hour bid to safeguard the land. He did this to ensure that the history, wildlife and scenic areas of Glencoe are safeguarded for the future.
When the complex title deeds were signed, the Glencoe Heritage Trust, a charitable, not for profit trust was formed.
The land bought comprises of:
- A half share of the ancient Burial Isle, Eilean Munde, on Loch Leven, traditional burial place of the MacDonalds of Glencoe, also Camerons, MacInnes’s and MacIntyres, along with other named clanspeople
- 106 acres of crofters common grazings, including the 18th century ruined Corn Mill, formerly the Mill of Glencoe
- The largest stretch of the River Coe
- Broad-leaved woodlands in the lower reaches of the glen
- Netting rights on Loch Leven
- Three days a week fishing on Loch Achtriachtan
TThese lands were formerly part of the old Glencoe Estate which was owned by a succession of MacDonald Chiefs. From the chief slain in the Massacre of 1692, down to Archibald Burns MacDonald, who sold the estate to Lord Strathcona in 1894 (see our History Page)